Budding Lawyers Visit Birmingham Solicitors
Budding lawyers from across the Family of Academies were recently invited to an ‘Experience Matters’ open day at Anthony Collins Solicitors in Birmingham. Anthony Collins is a law firm with a clear purpose, to ‘improve lives, community and society.’ Aims which are very much aligned with the RSA.
Trainees from across the firm gave up their time to provide an insight into the world of law and life at Anthony Collins.
First up students had the opportunity to learn a little more about Anthony Collins and the trainees and explore any misconceptions about a career in law.
Students then worked in groups on case studies and explored legal implications of situations that were given.
After a short break. lawyers and non lawyers from across the firm joined the group to take part in a speed-networking session about the route into their career and their role at Anthony Collins. This was a great opportunity to ask any questions and gain an insight into the journeys and the different routes that people take for a career in law. Students met representatives from the IT, Paralegal and Marketing departments.
After lunch students participated in a negotiation exercise and worked in groups to reach a mutually beneficial conclusion to a dispute – there was some passionate debate before anything was agreed! Chris Whittington partner and Leader of the Education Team at the firm, shared a valuable account of his journey into law and his specialism in working within education and passion for connecting people for the benefit of society – a passion also shared by the RSA. After a tour of the offices, and an opportunity to speak to Rankeshwar Batta – Head of Claimant Clinical Negligence and Injury Deparment, the day came to an end.
So what did our students learn and what can they pass on to fellow students about their experience?
- If you wish to become a solicitor – make sure your degree is an LLB
- You can do any subjects at A level and still go on to do Law at University
- You don’t have to attend a Russell Group University to read Law
- There are many jobs in a law firm for example; marketing, IT, HR.
- There are lots of opportunities to progress within a large firm.
- You can specialise in any aspect of law – e.g. employment, criminal, financial.
- There are many opportunities to network with other lawyers and professionals
- Birmingham City Centre is a great location to work in.
We are very grateful to Anthony Collins and the team who invested their time in supporting students from across the Family of Academies.