RSA Academies are partnering with a pioneering new careers inspiration programme for all UK schools and colleges called The WOW (World of Work) Show.
Designed to appeal to all year groups and be watched as a shared group experience. It’s a fast-paced magazine show streamed live directly to the classroom that will present fascinating fresh perspectives on a variety of major employment sectors. It is very different from traditional approaches because it is being produced by leading film-makers and journalists from the UK Creative Industries. They have been given access to some of the most important industries and career opportunities for young people in the future. It will speak to the student audience in their language, on their platforms and in the bite-size visual grammar of YouTube. This is careers inspiration for Generation Z.
To accompany The WOW Show broadcasts, RSA Academies have developed special lesson plans and PowerPoint slides that are freely available to all teachers. These are a PSHE Preview lesson for use before viewing the show that encourages students to think about the wide range of careers opportunities that exist and how their own interests, ambitions and qualities can help them access these. After seeing the show, a series of individual subject lesson plans are then available that directly link curriculum learning to careers. Covering science, maths and geography, these are designed for use by subject teachers to help show how aspects of their subject is relevant to the world of work, including in unexpected ways.
- WOW show PSHE Preview slides
- WOW show PSHE Preview lesson plan
- WOW show lesson slides Maths and Transport
- WOW show lesson slides Science and Hospitality
- WOW show lesson slides Maths and Digital
Finally, there is also a progression package of information that signposts students to further insight and pathways into the careers they have seen in the show.
The WOW Show broadcast on the 2nd May 2018 shines a spotlight on careers in the construction, transport, healthcare, hospitality and digital sectors.
Leading employers and organisations in these sectors have identified the following links and PDF documents to help students find further insight and information about the careers they have seen in the show.
- Construction a career like no other
- Highways England apprenticeships cover
- Highways England apprenticeships
- Healthcare Job Pathways
- To find out more about the different apprenticeships available visit: cityandguilds.com/apprenticeships
- To apply for an apprenticeship visit the Government website: findanapprenticeshipservice.gov.uk or getmyfirstjob.co.uk